Cambridge Framed Photography

£41.00

The Wren Library is the library of Trinity College in Cambridge. It was designed by Christopher Wren in 1676 and completed in 1695. The library is a single large room built over an open colonnade on the ground floor of Nevile's Court. The floor of the library proper within the upper storey lies several feet below the external division between the two storeys, reconciling the demands of use with the harmony of architectural proportion. It is credited as being one of the first libraries to be built with large windows to give comfortable light levels to aid readers. The book stacks are arranged in rows perpendicular to the walls under the intervals between the windows. At the end of each stack is a fine limewood carving by Grinling Gibbons, and above these are plaster cast busts of notable writers through the ages. Other marble busts standing on plinths depict notable member of the college and are mostly carved by Louis-François Roubiliac. A later addition is a full size statue of Lord Byron carved by Bertel Thorvaldsen, originally offered to Westminster Abbey for inclusion in Poets' Corner, but refused due to the poet's reputation for immorality.[citation needed] The interior of the library, showing the limewood carvings by Grinling Gibbons. Cloisters beneath main library room. Note ceiling level at springing point of exterior arches rather than at their peak. On the east balustrade of the library's roof are four statues by Gabriel Cibber representing Divinity, Law, Physic (medicine), and Mathematics.

The prints are produced on high quality photographic paper and are presented in dark green bevel cut mounts. The title of the photo and the photographer’s signature are handwritten in pencil on the mounts. The wooden frames are a darker shade of green than the mounts and measure 57.5cms x 19.5cms.


Add to Cart:

  • Model: LF15
  • 20 Units in Stock


This product was added to our catalog on Thursday 01 September, 2011.